Recommendations and restrictions in force in Vaasa Hospital District
Vaasa Hospital District is currently in the process of reducing the spread of the coronavirus epidemic. The situation is most difficult in the City of Vaasa, but cases of infection are occurring throughout the entire region.
In this article, you will see the current recommendations and restrictions related to the coronavirus situation. Information on face mask recommendations, public events and public gatherings is included.
The responsibility for decision-making regarding restriction measures and recommendations lies with different authorities. For this reason, information follows the decisions, instructions, recommendations and restrictions of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), the Regional State Administrative Agencies (AVI) and municipalities.
The epidemiological situation in the area is monitored by the Ostrobothnia Corona Coordination Working Group, whose recommendations are also compiled here.
Face mask recommendation
The recommendation is to always wear a face mask at public events and while in indoor public spaces, including upper-secondary schools and higher educational institutions. Although this recommendation previously only applied to those from around the age of 15 and over, it now extends to everyone attending secondary schools. This recommendation is in line with the recommendation of the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) relating to the spread of the corona epidemic.
- Owners of shops and other public spaces, as well as service providers, are encouraged to set a face mask recommendation for their employees and customers for reasons of occupational safety, and to ensure that safe social distancing of 1 to 2 metres is observed in all situations.
- For all visitors to social welfare and healthcare services throughout the hospital district, including cases where safety margins can already be met. Visitors must stay in the patient’s own room and must not be in the common areas.
- THL´s (Finnish institute for health and welfare) rekommendation on the use of face masks is currently in force in the whole country. The recommendation is divided into different levels of the corona epidemic.
Recommendation and restriction on public events and gatherings
- The strong recommendation of the Ostrobothnia Corona Coordination Working Group is that private gatherings for more than 10 people should not be held.
- Restriction imposed by AVI from 12 October to 31 October, 2020: public events and public gatherings of more than 10 people are banned throughout the region (in finnish).
Recommendation on social distancing
- Try to maintain an adequate safe social distance of 1-2 metres from other people. The recommendation applies to all contacts outside the family circle, both at work and in leisure time.
- A reminder, especially for gyms, is to ensure that adequate safe social distancing rules are observed.
Sports clubs and other free-time activities: Gatherings of more than 10 people should be avoided in sports club and all kinds of free-time activities. Safe exercise with safe distances should be maintained.
Protection of the elderly and at-risk groups, strong recommendations
- Particular attention should be paid to the elderly and at-risk groups, as the coronavirus epidemic has already begun to spread to these groups.
- Indoor visits to care homes for seniors must be carefully organised to take place in the resident’s own room and common areas should be avoided. Check the up-to-date instructions for municipalities and operating units.
Regarding remote work, Vaasa Hospital District follows the national recommendation, which is valid until further notice. Its validity will be reviewed by 31 December 2020. The Government recommends that public sector employees work remotely as widely as possible if their duties allow. Similar extensive remote working is also recommended for private employers. The assessment of the coordination of local working and remote working takes place in the workplace. The guidelines and recommendations made by the Government on remote working are not legally binding on employers.
- For workplaces, it is recommended to stagger breaks and maintain safe social distancing, as well as to use face masks.
- However, it is the responsibility of employers to arrange safe working conditions. Work arrangements reduce close contacts with other risk factors in the workplace.
- Stay at home even with mild respiratory symptoms and follow the instructions given.
- Recommendations for autumn holidays:
- It is worthwhile to focus on holiday activities as much as possible in the home environment and enjoy time with the family.
- It is recommended to limit the number of social contacts.
- Unnecessary travel should be avoided if possible.
Recommendations for educational institutions
- See your municipality's recommendations, restrictions and decisions regarding the activities of educational institutions in the list of municipalities.
- Student internships have been suspended for two weeks starting on 5 October and apply to all social welfare and healthcare operating points in Vaasa Hospital District. Students fron institutions in the area should also not leave for internships outside the hospital district.