Collecting a Pinworm Sample
2053 F –Enve-O, Pinworms in feces
The purpose of this test is to identify pinworms in the intestine. Collect the sample in the morning, before defecation and washing.
1. Sampling kit:
- A cotton sampling swab.
- A sampling tube with saline (salt) solution, approx. 0,5 ml.
- A sealable plastic bag
- A sticker for recording your personal details.
2. Collecting the sample:
- Moisten the cotton swab with the saline solution and squeeze the cotton dry against the wall of the sampling tube.
- Collect the sample right at the anal opening. Roll and press the sampling swab against the skin fairly hard. If any pinworms are visible (about 3 – 12 mm long, white worms), you should also collect them on the sampling swab.
- Put the swab in the sampling tube, and cut the swab short enough to close the cap properly.
- Attach a sticker with your personal details on the tube.
- Write the sampling date and time on the sticker.
- Put the sampling tube into a plastic bag and close the bag carefully.
3. Storing the sample:
Take the sample to the laboratory as soon as possible, preferably on the same day or the following morning the latest. Store the sample in a cool place, e.g. in a refrigerator (NB! Keep away from foodstuff).
4. Please note:
In order to minimize the risk of infection, please wash your hands carefully with water and soap after collecting the sample. Dispose the container you used for collecting the sample appropriately.