Collecting a Stool Sample for Diagnosing Bacterial Diarrhea
3442 F -BaktVi1, Bacterial culture of feces 1
The purpose of this test is to detect Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter and Yersinia bacteria in feces.
1. Sampling kit:
- A clean container, for example, a disposable plate or a cardboard kidney bowl.
- A sampling container with a spoon attached to the lid.
- Gel transportation tube and a sampling swab in a plastic container.
- A sealable plastic bag.
- Stickers for recording your personal details.
2. Collecting the stool sample:
- Collect some stool (feces) in the clean container.
- Gel transportation tube: Remove the cap of the transportation tube, and roll the sampling swab in the stool, especially in the areas with mucus and blood. Put the swap inside the gel transportation tube. Make sure that the cap of the tube is closed tightly.
- Sampling container: Open the lid of the sampling container. Using the spoon attached to the lid fill 1/3 of the container with stool. Close the lid carefully.
- Attach a sticker both to the gel transportation tube and to the sampling container.
- Write the sampling date and time on the stickers.
- Put the samples in a plastic bag and seal the bag carefully.
3. Storing the sample:
Take the sample to the laboratory as soon as possible, preferably on the same day or the following morning the latest. Store the sample in a cool place, e.g. in a refrigerator (NB! Keep away from foodstuff).
4. Please note:
In order to minimize the risk of infection, please wash your hands carefully with water and soap after collecting the sample. Dispose the container you used for collecting the sample appropriately.